Senior Database Administrator
The Senior Database Administrator performs as a lead member of the Infrastructure Database Support Team. Collaborates with the enterprise architects on complex database projects. Acts as a resource for direction, training, and guidance for less experienced staff. Also interfaces regularly with internal and external business units therefore requiring strong communication and facilitation skills.
Provide technical recommendations and serve as the primary database resource expert to IT hosting for existing and future data base deployments
Recommend solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities from initial design concept to final production deployment
Understand and promote best practices and standards for database management; oversee governance to assure product stability and performance
Identify database physical requirements by interviewing customers; analyze, design, and deploy database(s) for existing and future systems
Identifies, evaluates, conducts, schedules and leads technical analysis functions to ensure all applicable database requirements are met.
Manage and maintain all database objects; responsible for deploying data base updates as part of product releases through QC, Staging and Production environments.
Collaborate with application owners, as needed, to develop, review and tune all complex SQL components.
Ongoing review of overall physical database structures for data integrity, performance quality, recoverability, maintenance and space requirements.
Strong leadership and participation in key initiatives.
Develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for data security, integrity and availability, monitor activities being performed by external third parties to ensure that the organization’s internal SOP objectives are being met.
Adhere to SOC audit requirements for our hosted applications.
Review new database installation requests for completeness and accuracy; facilitate any discussions between
the application owners and the data base support teams during the installation process.
Assist in data migrations, needed, to the new environments.
Work with application owners to install and test database patches and upgrades.
Create and maintain documentation of all enterprise Physical database environments.
Participate in on-call rotation providing 24×7 support of all critical internal and customer facing applications
• BS/BA degree in Computer Science, BCIS or related field or equivalent related work experience preferred
- Ability to learn and maintain knowledge about production databases (e.g., Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Azure SQL, Azure CosmosDB, PostgreSQL, MongoDB)
- Ability to learn and maintain knowledge of database administration tools (e.g., Oracle Enterprise Manager, SQL Server Management Studio, etc.)
- Familiarity with data manipulation languages and the principles of database design
- Ability to tune queries
- Administering very large and high-volume transactional databases in a 24/7 environment
• Setting up and administering database environments; including development, testing, disaster recovery and production
- Strong analytical and team-based problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively communicate with peers and non-technical personnel
- Flexibility and ability to work with multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks
- Ability to learn and support IaaS and PaaS databases in Cloud Hosting environments (e.g., Azure, AWS)
• Maintain knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems